Westland Police Department hiring new officers
December 31, 2020
The Westland Police Department recently exhausted the eligibility list that they use to hire new police officers. They anticipate starting a new process in January of 2021 to establish the next eligibility list. As part of the process, applicants will be required to take the written portion of their testing through EMPCO (http://empco.net/). Since testing dates might be limited due to the holiday season, they wanted to put this information out there to give those who are qualified an ample opportunity to take the test in time. Please make sure you meet the requirements below before paying for and taking the written test. Further information regarding the application and testing process will be announced later.
• Applicants must be a citizen of the United States,
• Not less than 21 years of age
• High School Diploma or GED
• Valid driver license
• Police Academy graduate and MCOLES certified (or certifiable at time of hire), or a Law Enforcement Academy attendee at time of application.
Please note that the Westland Police Officers Association signed a new four-year collective bargaining agreement on May 5th of 2020. This new CBA included major improvements to the police officers benefits, including:
• Top salary of $72,671, with a total compensation package of $87,093
• Defined Benefit Pension plan with a multiplier of 2.25 or an option of a defined contribution plan with employer match.
• Top vacation accrual of 260 hours per year
• 18 hours of sick time per month
• 15 paid holidays
• 72 hours of personal time per year
• A bonus of 48 hours of vacation time per year will be added to your bank if less than 48 hours of sick time are used in a calendar year.
The Westland Police Department also offers many different assignments and opportunities for advancement. If you have any questions about the contract or what the department has to offer, please email [email protected]